- This picture was taken when Devin and I packed an 18-month-old Ethan into our car and “ran away from home.” About 6 months after Austin died, we desperately needed time off work. We ran away. Literally.
- We had no idea where we were going. We had no plans, no GPS system, no hotel reservations, no agenda. We had a map, a Bible, and broken hearts. It was one of the best things we ever did. God showed us just how big, beautiful, and mighty He can be.
- Recently, I was studying the book of Daniel and was reminded how Scripture paints such incredible images of God:
I kept looking until thrones were set up, and the Ancient of Days took His seat; His vesture was like white snow and the hair of His head like pure wool. His throne was ablaze with flames, its wheels were a burning fire. A river of fire was flowing and coming out from before Him; Thousands upon thousands were attending Him, and myriads upon myriads were standing before Him; the court sat, and the books were opened. ~ Daniel 7:9-11
- It’s always a good idea to keep in mind who God is and how mighty He is. It’s especially important, however, when you are facing something critical in your life.
- During the study of the book of Daniel, and specifically Daniel Chapter 7, in order to help create a mental picture of the scene in the passage today, the leader of my study described the scene much like a courtroom, when the judge walks in and silence fills the room. Everyone waits until he/she is seated. Everyone in the room knows who is in charge. There is no question.
- Since I am a lawyer and law professor, this image is particularly interesting to me. There is One who is the Ancient of Days, robed in white and seated on a flaming throne who is way bigger than the any of the problems of this world. There is no question He is in charge!
- When you try to create a mental picture of the Father and the Son seated in the throne room, surrounded by thousands upon thousands serving and worshiping, you feel small (humble) before them. Whatever you have come to ask the Lord seems a simple request in light of God’s magnificence and power.
- Today, read Daniel Chapter 7 and remember that the Father and the Son are seated in the throne room and they are in charge. [See also, Revelation 1:12-18; 19:11-17] Try your best to muster up a mental picture of the throne room. God alone holds your life in His mighty, all-powerful hand. Ask Him, humbly and with the reverence He alone deserves, to grant you what you need.
- Remember that He simply needs to speak for something to come into existence. Remember that He simply needs to breathe for something to have life. Remember that He alone holds the fate of kings and nations. Whatever your request is, it is not difficult for the Almighty God.
All the glory to Him,